Let's talk BRAS baby. Candidly, up until last week, I hadn't given much thought to. As a woman who is, ehem, pear-shaped, I've spent more time shopping for jeans and pants that fit my thighs and rear than what's on top. Is this a curse or a blessing? Well, for me, it's always kind of worked out in my favor. I haven't had to struggle with backaches, awkward high school gym class moments, or heartbreaking fittings at the mall. Life with bitty buds is kinda easy. I pretty much survive off of sticky bras, sticky petals, sticky tape, or honestly, no bra at all (full transparency, I am writing this blog post sans bra.) It's been well, really nice. But, I have been avoiding something important for every woman, a real bra fitting.
So here's what I did.
My good friend Sophie from Rosé Media reached out to me to stop by one of her client's lingerie shops, Coup de Foudre Lingerie, for a bra fitting. Located next to Dry Bar (hellllo new bottle of dry shampoo) I immediately felt at ease when I met the owner, Kiersten Ballman. She's awesome.
Kiersten didn't skip a beat. We chatted about what I was looking for, and she grabbed some beautiful pieces, and we got straight to the point, the bra fitting.
I learned a lot during this fitting:
1. I'm not wearing the right size - so I figured Kiersten was going to tell me this. But her answer wasn't what I was expecting. Like many women, I was told, I make the mistake of sizing up in the band when a bra feels uncomfortable. Looser is better, right? Wrong. The brand should, in fact, be tight because bras are meant to, well, lift and support you. Duh Libby.
2. I'm wearing my bra too low - another point that surprised me. After I was given my proper bra size, I was shown exactly where on my back my bra should fall. LOL, my old bra lines on my back showed just how low low low my strapless was sitting on my back. No bueno. We got me up where I should be and it really did change the way I looked and even the way I stand.
3. No, you don't need 25 bras - "A woman really only needs 3-5 bras for her everyday rotation." Kiersten explained. The key word here, ROTATION. I like many women, get into the habit of wearing my bras to death. Literally death. And then forgetting that different bras serve different purposes. You should have a great strapless bra for sure, and 2-3 everyday bras in black and nude. And then, all of the fun stuff that you want to integrate.
4. Not all bras are made the same - this may seem like a no-brainer, but I really didn't think about it until I saw the beautifully framed piece (below) in the shop. It displays all of the beautiful and important materials that go into making a high-quality brassiere. Spoiler alert: you won't find this quality in your Victoria's Secret bra. Coup de Foudre carries a high line of affordable lingerie that will last you for quite a while.
5. They accept bra donations! Woohoo! I loved this. You can bring in your used bras and Coupe de Foudre will donate them to women in need of support.
6. Bra Fittings at Coup de Foudre are FREE! Can't beat that.
After trying on a few fun pieces, and wow, it actually was more fun than I thought, I made my selection. I wanted something that felt like me but also felt like spoiling myself. I decided on Coupe de Foudre's most popular set, The Marie Joe Jane. It's super elegant and sexy with just the right amount of intricate embroidery over the black tulle.
The best part, it's so comfortable.
Special thanks to Sophie, Kiersten and the team at Coup de Foudre Lingerie for answering all of my questions, and making me feel comfortable and sexy. *Disclaimer: the pieces I selected were gifted to me. Thank you thank you thank you!
Make sure to pop into Coup de Foudre Lingerie soon and follow them on Instagram for the latest and greatest. And remember, all bra fittings are FREE!