If you take a peek into my fridge you’ll probably notice something, well two things:
I have a lot of cheese
I keep a lot of skincare in it
A good friend of mine, @laurendurden swears by doing this, along with a zillion beauty writers so I thought I would give it a try. Refrigerating skincare is said to help with better absorption and calm your skin. Additionally, according to Joshua Zeichner, the director of cosmetic and clinical research at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC, “Generally, but not always, refrigerating products will help extend their shelf life.”
Which leaves me to what I like to keep in my fridge:
Under-Eye Masks - I started using these VIIcode eye masks for 8-hours as an overnight treatment which is different from other sheet masks which only stay on for 20-30 minutes. I love keeping these in the fridge before applying them because the gel-like material keeps them incredibly cool. The masks also use natural potent antioxidants:
- Sodium Hyaluronate: Boosts skin’s moisture content, reduce inflammation, and help prevent moisture loss.
- Sodium PCA: Helps to retain moisture, prevents our skin cells from losing water and drying out, reduces inflammation, and prevents skin from aging.
- Vitamin E: An antioxidant that neutralizes the oxidant effect of free radicals, which damage collagen and cause skin dryness, fine lines, and wrinkles.
- Allantoin: Helps to soften and protect, while actively soothing skin. It also stimulates cell regeneration, promoting healthy skin.
- Aloe barbadensis, Algin: Helps to hydrate your skin.
I’ve used many different kinds of eye-masks, and to date, these VIIcode masks are easily my favorite. Even as a stomach sleeper, these eye masks manage to stay on overnight. And it’s easy - just peel, stick, and go to sleep.
Face Moisturizer - Remember the Pond’s Cold Cream your grandmother swore by? It’s a great blast from the past for sure, but also easy to replicate with your own favorite moisturizer. For me, I like to keep my Glossier Priming Moisturizer in the fridge to cool.
Something that's great about keeping your skincare in the fridge: when you go to use it, you remember to drink a glass of water. Another option, if you really want to get into this, is a mini fridge for skincare. I mean, this is actually so cute.
Lastly, one of my favorite things, Ice Rolling. Here's a little more about one of my favorite items to keep in the freezer.
Honestly, keeping some of your skincare items cool, just feels great. It's not essential by any means, but if you're looking a way to cool and depuff, then pop them right in the fridge next to your cheese. Just like me!