This past year, on my 26 Before 26 List I noted that I wanted to create a little recipe book, using the recipes from friends and family. It's been a great way for me to connect with those who have contributed as well as keeping track of new and old favorites of mine. Most notably, is the recipe my wonderful Mother submitted, my Grandma's Christmas Cookie Cut-Outs recipe. I've used this recipe countless times for traditional cut-outs to Drake and Frank Ocean lyrics. This time, I was feeling a little homesick and made Wisconsin cookies using my favorite cookie cutter.
1 cup sugar
1 cup softened butter
4 cups sifted flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
- Using an electric mixer combine sugar and butter until well blended.
- Add eggs one egg at a time. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Refrigerate dough for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Roll out dough and cut out shapes with cookie cutters.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5 - 10 minutes. Cool before frosting and decorating.
Lastly, for the royal icing, I followed this helpful video from The Joy of Baking and separated the frosting into individual bowls for the different colors.
You can shop some of the supplies here!