Can you tell I'm excited for summer? Seriously though, all I seem to be making lately are bites and meals perfect for a summer BBQ and these jalapeno cheddar corn muffins are no exception. Forget your old, dried up cornbread recipe and try this one I've adapted from both Whole Foods and Damn Delicious.
2 boxes Jiffy Mix Cornbread Mix
1 box regular yellow cake mix
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon honey
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat a muffin tin with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine corn and cake mix.
- In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and honey. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist. Add jalapenos and cheese, and gently toss to combine.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray. Place into oven and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
There you have it. The secret to keeping your corn muffins soft and sweet is the yellow cake mix. I've tried this recipe a few times sans cake mix and it really isn't the same. Also, if you want to add some meat to these bad boys, my good friend made these fun corn dog muffins a while back and they were a huge hit.
Photography by Libby Rasmussen and Damn Delicious