All too often I find myself wanting something sweet before bed. Just my luck, the other night I recalled seeing some recipes on Pinterest for birthday cake popcorn. All it took were 4 ingredients from my pantry and voilà! Happy Birthday to Me! It also happened to be my roommate's birthday the following day so I made some extra and popped in a candle!
5 cups popped popcorn
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup white cake mix
Confetti or assorted sprinkles
- Pop popcorn and spread out on a paper towel, removing any kernels or burnt pieces, and place in a large bowl.
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. (If needed: add a teaspoon or two of vegetable oil to thin out.)
- Stir in cake mix until smooth, then stir in about 3 teaspoons of sprinkles. Immediately pour over popcorn.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix the popcorn and sprinkles
- Pour out onto wax paper spread into a single layer. Sprinkle with a ridiculous amount of sprinkles
- Refrigerate until cool and combined - I love when the white chocolate is super chilled.
This festive snack would be the ideal treat for parties or events as desserts or party favors. You can also add food-dye to the white chocolate, adding an even more colorful twist. Other great toppings include m&ms, colorful marshmallows, or mini Cadbury eggs.