Easy Easy Easy
This Cheez-It Recipe is so easy. With only 5 ingredients, you can make everyone's favorite cheesy cracker in less than 30 minutes.
6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup butter, softened and cut into chunks
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2-1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Put all 4 or 5 ingredients, except the milk, in your food processor and pulse until it forms into a crumbly dough. Add the milk - start with 1/2 tablespoon and pulse. Add more if it's still too crumbly.
- Turn all or half of the cheese mixture onto your square grid mat (not required but sure helps!) and kneed it until it comes together in a ball. Just for a quick minute or so.
- Roll it out with your rolling pin. You want to aim for a square or rectangle shape, but it doesn’t have to be perfect. Just try to roll it out so the thickness is fairly even. You don’t want it too thin or it will burn.
- Next cut small squares using your pizza cutter.
- Put the cheese dough squares on your greased or parchment paper lined baking sheet. You can put them close together because they don’t spread too much. Salt as desired.
- Use a chopstick or some other small object to poke little holes in the middle.
- Bake your cheese crackers for 12-14 minutes. I usually start at 12 and add a minute or two on as needed. Bake until the edges are just starting to turn brown.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker